Do you have trouble falling asleep due to stiffness or pain in your shoulders? Or you wake up feeling sore and aching?
A good quality pillow for shoulder pain can do wonders for the quality of your sleep, as well as for longer-term pain relief.
We have selected the top pillows for shoulder pain for you – of all types, for all sleeping positions, and for all budgets.
The best overall
This pillow has been made specifically for people who prefer sleeping on their backs, who are looking for shoulder, neck, or back pain relief.
It cradles the head and neck and helps keep them aligned with the spine. This reduces the tension and stress on the muscles and relieves the stiffness, pressure and pain.
It is made of premium quality memory foam and has two different heights on the side, so you can customize it to provide a perfect fit and ultimate comfort throughout the night.
It has a washable and breathable soft pillowcase.
The pillow is completely chemical and toxin-free.
- Special design for back sleepers
- It cradles the head and neck
- There are two heights to choose from
- Made of safe, non-toxic materials, including high-density memory foam with a slow rebound
- The orthopedic design helps the neck align with the spine naturally and properly
- It has a breathable cover which can be removed and washed
- Its size is 21.6 x 15.8 x 4.3 inches
Although it may look strange when you first set eyes on it, this pillow has been specially designed to resolve shoulder and neck pain and provide the support you need to sleep comfortably even if you have upper back, shoulder and neck ailments.
The strange-looking pillow is designed to cradle your head and keep your neck and shoulders in a stable position while you are resting or sleeping.
Plus, it has a special slope and side cutout for the arm, so your shoulder doesn’t hunch, and your arm doesn’t start to tingle from the pressure.
The orthopedic pillow is filled with high-density memory foam with a slow rebound and medium hardness. It will provide you with comfort and stability while keeping your neck and spine properly aligned.
The pillowcase is made of hypoallergenic and breathable material. It is removable and can be washed.
The pillow is tested, and CertiPUR-US certified for being free of any harmful chemicals.
It is available in two different size options – 24.4 x 15 x 4.7 inches, and 25 x 13 x 4.7 inches.
- An orthopedic and ergonomic shape that cradles the neck and head no matter whether you sleep on your side or your back
- Made of slow-rebound, high-density memory foam
- Removable, hypoallergenic, and breathable cover
- Provides perfect support, neck and spine alignment
- Available in two size options
Best budget-friendly option
This budget-friendly pillow for shoulder pain is suitable for anybody who has trouble sleeping because of shoulder and neck pain. It is designed to provide neck alignment and comfort for all sleepers, no matter whether you prefer sleeping on your side, back, or on your stomach.
It helps reduce the stress and soreness in the black, shoulders, and neck.
The inexpensive pillow is filled with medium firm memory foam, which will remember the contours of your head and neck and cradle you comfortably, while providing added stability.
It comes with a removable and washable, breathable pillowcase.
This affordable pillow for shoulder pain is sold for a price of less than $30 and comes with a 48-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- It has two heights – 2.3 inches and 4.3 inches on each side
- Suitable for side and back sleepers
- Help relieve shoulder pain, neck pain, and reduces snoring
- Filled with medium firm premium memory foam
- The pillowcase is breathable, removable and can be machine washed
- It comes in a handy carry and storage bag
- The pillow is 20 x 11 x 3 inches and weighs 1.5 lbs.
- It is sold with a 48-day money-back guarantee
The rest of the finest pillows for shoulder pain
This premium quality pillow will take the form of your neck and head and will keep it in an ergonomic position all night long.
It is suitable for side sleepers with all body types.
The US-made ergonomic pillow is filled with sustainably grown and air cleaned buckwheat hulls.
The pillowcase is made of organic cotton twill, which is durable, breathable and comfortable.
The pillow is available in small, medium, large, and X-large sizes.
- Made in the USA by a family business with sustainable and organic natural materials
- Designed with a cylindrical shape to provide support for side sleepers
- The buckwheat hull mold into the shape of your head and neck for added stability and comfort
- You can adjust the firmness of the pillow by removing or adding buckwheat hull via the hidden zipper
- The materials used and the design improve the airflow during the night
- The pillowcase is made of natural organic cotton
- The small size is 14 x 6 inches
- The medium size is 17 x 6 inches
- The large size is 19 x 7 inches
- The extra-large size is 23 x 7.5 inches
Unlike most of the other pillows on this list, this one is traditionally shaped.
The pillow is made with safe and certified memory foam, which will help keep your spine and neck aligned, no matter whether you sleep on your back, your side or on your stomach.
The Kloudes pillow has a washable pillowcase.
It is sold in s standard and king sizes and comes with a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Made of a patent-pending and CertiPUR-US certified memory foam mix
- Suitable for side, back or stomach sleepers
- Will keep the shoulders, neck, and spine aligned
- It comes with a machine-washable pillowcase
- The standard size is 16 x 7.5 x 7.5 inches
- The king-size is 17 x 8 x 6.5 inches
This pillow is made of a unique mix of Talalay natural latex and Poly-silk fiber which together are moldable and adjustable to fit any body and head shape, and also to accommodate to any sleeping position.
It has an organic cotton pillowcase that is durable and hypoallergenic.
The filling is certified to be safe and is resistant to dust mites and other allergens and microorganisms.
The pillow provides much more pressure relief than traditional memory foam pillows, according to the manufacturer – Sleep Artisan.
- Made in the USA
- Filled with a unique, safe and antimicrobial mix of natural latex and poly-silk fiber
- The material used provides about 97% more pressure relief to the neck, shoulders and back than regular memory foam
- You can adjust the 6-inch loft height by removing some of the filling via the zipper
- It is hypoallergenic and chemical-free
- The pillow is suitable for side sleepers
- It will keep the neck and head aligned properly during sleep
- Its pillow case is made of organic cotton, hemp, and a poly blend
- The size of the pillow is 27.5 x 17 x 6 inches
- It is sold with a satisfaction guarantee as well as a 3-year warranty
This fantastic pillow for shoulder pain is not only for pregnant women. In fact, it can provide great comfort and reduce the neck, back, and shoulder pain almost immediately after you cozy up into this U-shaped pillow.
If you feel pain or stiffness in the shoulders, back, neck, or hips, this could be the perfect solution for you.
It comes in different sizes to accommodate all body types and shapes.
The pillow can also help relieve the symptoms of gastric reflux, fibromyalgia, sciatica, and others.
You can use it for sleeping or for lounging while you watch TV or relax at home.
It is made of premium materials and has a removable and machine washable pillow cover.
- It has a U-shape suitable for pregnant ladies, and for relieving aches, stiffness, and pain throughout the body
- It is great for sleeping and relaxing
- You can customize the loft by removing or adding some to the filling made of hollow fiber
- The soft jersey cover is machine washable
- It will help with all kinds of pain and other health conditions
- The pillow provides full body length support
- You can use it while sitting, watching TV, nursing, reading or others
- You can buy it in different sizes, including 55, 60, 65 and 70 inches in length
- It is also available in different color options for every taste
It ensures that your spine is aligned correctly in a natural position all night long.
Made of firm and dense foam and covered with a soft felt cover, it is as comfortable as a pillow can get.
It is chemical-free, hypoallergenic, and is made of breathable materials promoting uninterrupted and pain-free sleep.
- The pillow is designed to help alleviate stiff, military, straight, or forward tilt neck problems
- It can also help relieve and eliminate headaches and migraines from muscle strain and tension
- Made of completely safe, non-toxic and hypoallergenic materials
- The foam used is dense but lightweight for stability and added comfort
- The felt cover can be removed, and machine washed
- It will help you relax and has been found to relieve stress
- The wedge design helps restore the natural spinal curve
- It is breathable
- The size of the pillow is 13 x 6 x 6 inches, and it will fit most average adults
The pillow is made of safe and premium quality foam and is covered with a hypoallergenic and antimicrobial pillowcase.
It is comfortable and will help alleviate shoulder and neck pain in all kinds of sleepers – side, back, or stomach.
The luxurious contoured pillow is available in standard and queen size options.
It is sold at a reasonable price and with a 30-day guarantee.
- The breathable memory foam will keep you well ventilated and cool all night long
- The design of the pillow makes it suitable for all kind of sleeping positions
- Its height and firmness can be adjusted by removing or adding memory foam from inside
- The pillowcase is dust-mite resistant, hypoallergenic and breathable
- The standard size is 21 x 13 x 3.9 inches
- The queen size is 24 x 15 x 4.8 inches
- It comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee
The pillow is made of polyurethane foam, which is firm enough to provide the support your neck, head, and shoulders need but is still comfortable enough for undisturbed sleeping.
The pillow has a special gel dough material that helps keep it cool, and further help eliminate any discomfort or pain in the upper back and body.
It provides support for the head, the neck, and the shoulders, which is especially efficient for side sleepers.
It has a removable, moisture-wicking cover.
- Made in the USA
- It provides support for the head, neck and the shoulders
- A unique L-shaped pillow which eliminates the need for using multiple pillows for side sleepers
- The pillow cover is made of moisture-wicking material and is removable and washable
- The pillow has a cooling and pain soothing gel layer
- The filling is 100% hypoallergenic PU foam
- It has a size of 26 x 26 x 5 inches which should be comfortable for an average adult
- You can buy it at a reasonable price and with a 5-year warranty
It is made of memory latex and is contoured to provide complete comfort, spine alignment, and relaxation.
This unique pillow not only helps relieve and eliminate shoulder and neck pain but can also help stop snoring, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve your sleep.
It is suitable for all sleeping positions.
Its soft velvet cover can be machine washed. The inner cover is breathable.
Rhyl sells it with a 90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- A one-of-a-kind honeycomb design that provides comfortable cooling, air ventilation, and moisture repelling
- Its size is 25 x 13.7 x 3.7-5.7 inches
- You can choose the lower or higher side to place your neck on
- It helps eliminate the stress, tension and pain in the neck, upper back and shoulders
- The velvet pillowcase can be removed and washed and is moisture-wicking
- The pillow is sold with a long 90-day satisfaction guarantee
With this wedge pillow, you can easily turn your bed into a recliner to read or watch TV.
With a height of 12 inches at its highest point, it is medically designed to provide a comfortable sleeping angle for your head, neck, and shoulders. This position helps relax the muscles and relieve the pain and discomfort in the shoulders, neck, and upper back.
The comfortable position is also helpful for relieving symptoms of acid reflux, GERD, sinus problems, and can help reduce or eliminate snoring.
It features a 1.5 inch top layer of premium quality, high-density memory foam which will contour the shape of your upper back, shoulders and head for perfect customized comfort without collapsing too much.
The wedge pillow is 25 x 24 x 12 inches in size. It can be used with a support pillow on top for added comfort.
The cover is breathable and soft and can be removed and machine washed.
The pillow can be used for sleeping, for elevating the legs, as well as upright for comfortable reading.
It is offered at a very reasonable price, given its high quality. Also, Cushy Form offers a 100% money-back guarantee for it too.
- Medically designed
- Versatile use
- Memory foam top layer for added comfort
- Machine washable, soft and breathable pillowcase
- Helps relieve shoulder, neck, back pain, helps with acid reflux, sinus problems, GERD, and can be used as a snore pillow
- It will keep your spine aligned throughout the night
This affordable pillow for shoulder pain has an orthopedic contour design. It has a loft which can be adjusted by removing some of the memory foam. This means you can turn it from a 4.7 and 3.9-inch pillow into a 3.5 and 2.8 inch one easily.
The pillow is designed to follow the natural curves of the body and to provide comforting support for the neck and the head.
The memory foam used for the filling remains with the same firmness no matter what the ambient temperature is.
It is sold with a bamboo and polyester cover which is soft and cooling and is also machine washable. It is also dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic.
The pillow is available in two different sizes to choose from.
It is sold for less than $30 and comes with a 96-night satisfaction guarantee and a long 5-year warranty.
- Made of a combination of high density and medium density foam
- The height of both sides of the pillow can be adjusted by adding or removing some of the fillings
- It helps relieve the pain in the shoulders, neck, and upper back
- It is safe, and CertiPUR certified
- The pillowcase is 40% bamboo and 60% polyester and is hypoallergenic, cooling, and machine washable
- The pillow is sold in a size of 23.6 x 14 x 4.7-3.9 inches as well as in a larger 27.6 x 15.7 x 4.7 inches
- It is sold with an amazing 5-year warranty and a 96-night satisfaction guarantee
Features to look for when buying a pillow for shoulder pain
Only people who haven’t suffered from pain, tension, or stiffness in the shoulders do not know how important a good pillow is for getting a good night’s sleep and for easing the pain.
Unfortunately, since we are all different, not every pillow works and helps in the same way for everyone.
If you are wondering how to choose the perfect pillow for shoulder pain for your needs, here are some of the features to look for and some tips to keep in mind:
The pillow shape
As you can see from our list, the pillows for shoulder pain come in an extensive variety of shapes and forms.
Typically, orthopedic pillows for pain in the upper back are either even in form or contoured.
The contoured ones typically have a lower and a high side so that you can find the best position for your neck.
You can also pick a wedge-shaped pillow which will elevate your entire upper back like a recliner.
Pick a pillow that has a shape suitable for your specific ailment or problem, as well as in accordance with your preferred sleeping position and your body type and weight.
The pillow loft
This is the thickness of the pillow when no weight is being put on it. The loft of the pillows for shoulder pain can be several types: low loft under 3 inches, medium loft from 3 to 5 inches, and high loft over 5 inches.
Most of the pillows we have picked can be adjusted in height and in firmness, so you can customize the loft according to your preferences.
Plus, the majority of the contoured ones have two different lofts on both sides.
Your preferred sleep position
You should always check the recommendations of the manufacturer for the suitable sleeping positions for their pillow. You should opt for one which suits your preferences if you want it to be effective and to help you relieve the shoulder pain and tension.
Side sleepers usually find medium or high loft pillows more comfortable so that the edge of the pillow can will the space between their heads and their shoulder.
Back sleepers often choose medium loft ones, in many cases of the softer type, which allows for the head to be cradled or sink deeper in the pillow. Sleeping on your back is the top-recommended position for dealing with shoulder pain, as it allows for the neck and upper body to remain perfectly aligned with the spine.
Stomach sleepers do best with low loft pillows because while they do tend to want a softer surface for their heads, they rarely like lifting their heads up to an unnatural position, unaligned with their spines, especially with shoulder and neck problems. For people with such issues, doctors recommend choosing one of the other possible sleeping positions, which are much more suitable for achieving a properly aligned and pain-free position.
The most popular materials used for orthopedic and chiropractic pillows include high-density memory foam, various types of latex, as well as natural buckwheat hull.
You should be careful when picking the material, if you are susceptible to allergies, as some of the materials are more prone to dust mites and other microorganisms than others.
Also, choose the material of the pillow cover in accordance with your preference for the softness, breathability, and hypoallergenic features it offers.
It is always a good idea to pick a pillow with a removable and machine-washable pillowcase.
Is it medically approved?
If you suffer from a diagnosed medical condition or an injury that requires special treatment and care, then it is recommended that you look for a pillow that has been designed by and approved by doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, orthopedists or other medical experts.
Some of the pillows for shoulder pain have been approved as medical devices.
It is essential that you choose such a pillow if your condition requires more serious care.
Hopefully, you have found the perfect pillow to help resolve your shoulder pain from our list. We wish you good luck with your purchase and hope that you enjoy relaxing and pain-free nights with your new pillow for shoulder pain.
Last update on 2022-05-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API