With a bottle of Drano Max Gel, you can forget about using messy and gross plungers, drain snakes, and brushes to remove clogs in your shower, sink, or bathtub.
This powerful clog remover and cleaner is formulated to quickly and easily dissolve even the toughest clogs.
It will cut through the water standing in the clogged sink or bathtub and will “attack” the clog directly to resolve the problem as quickly and as easily as possible.
The Drano Max Gel can safely be used on both metal and PVC pipes, as well as for cleaning garbage disposals and for use in septic systems.
But if you are still wondering whether Drano Max Gel is the best option for your clogging problem, is it safe to use, and have other questions regarding this popular unclogging and cleaning agent, you can read on through our in-depth review of the Drano Max Gel.
More about the Drano Max Gel and its manufacturer
Drano Max Gel is part of the Drano product line first introduced in 1923 by Harry Drackett and made by S.C.Johnson & Son S.C. Johnson.
The other products in the Drano line include the Drano Kitchen Granules Clog Remover, the Drano Dual-Force Clog Remover, Drano Liquid Drain Cleaner, Drano Snake Plus Tool and Gel, Drano max Build-up Remover, Drano Advanced Septic Treatment, Drano Hair Buster Gel, and Drano Kitchen Gel.
The Drano Max Gel is among the most popular of all the products in the line, thanks to its special features, including:
- The fact that it can be poured in a sink, bathtub, or shower where there is standing water due to clogging
- It can reach the clog by “cutting through” the water.
- It dissolves the clog in less than 15-30 minutes.
- It is formulated to be safe for use in metal and PVC pipes and will protect the metal pipes from corrosion.
- The thick bleach in the gel can dissolve any type of organic clog (hair, grease, food, soap scum, gunk, and more)
- You can safely leave it in the drain overnight.
How does Drano Max Gel work?
It is easy to use, and all you need to do is:
- Pour the recommended quantity of the solution directly into the sink, bathtub, shower, or garbage disposal, even if there is water in it.
- Let it work for about 15 to 30 minutes (you can leave it overnight for severe clogs)
- Pour hot water in the drain to rinse the clog and gel away.
- Enjoy a working and clean sink, bathtub, or other.
What are the ingredients in Drano Max Gel?
The ingredients which make this product work so efficiently and quickly include:
- Water which is the liquid base for the gel
- Sodium hypochlorite is a bleach that will successfully destroy and remove mildew and mold.
- Sodium hydroxide is the caustic ingredient that can dissolve the organic clogs in your drains.
- A proprietary surfactant mix, which contains cleaning agents to remove deposits and dirt
- Sodium silicate is the ingredient providing a protective coating for the metal pipes and garbage disposal parts to prevent corrosion.
- Enzymes that break down organic residue
How effective is Drano Max Gel?
The unclogging agent is very effective for removing organic clogs from all drains and cleaning them as a preventive measure against clogging.
It will attack the clog immediately and start dissolving it in 15 to 30 minutes. After it is done, you can rinse it off with hot water, and the slime will be flushed away, and your drain will be clean and working perfectly once again.
If you use the Drano Max Gel on a regular basis to clean your kitchen and bathroom sinks, your bathtub, and shower drains, you can successfully prevent clogging altogether.
Drano Max Gel pros and cons
Drano Max Gel pros:
- It works with all types of pipes and is safe for use with PVC and metal pipes, garbage disposals, and septic systems.
- You can use it even if the sink or bathtub is full of water due to the clog, and it will pass through the water and start dissolving the clog instantly.
- It comes in an affordable and large 80-oz bottle.
- The product contains an ingredient that protects metal pipes and parts from corrosion.
- It does not require the use of a drain unclogging brush, snake, or another tool, and you don’t need to handle the clog and gunk at all.
- It works for the quick dissolving of all types of organic clogs, including hair, soap scum, gunk, grease, food, and others.
- You can leave it overnight.
- It usually takes 15-30 minutes to dissolve an average clog.
Drano Max Gel cons:
- It cannot be used in toilets.
- Not suitable or efficient for non-organic clogs
- You may need to use a substantial amount or perform the procedure several times for more severe clogs.
Precautions which you need to take when using Drano Max Gel
When used properly, the product is safe to use. But in order to stay safe and prevent contact with it, you should follow these safety precautions:
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not touch the gel with your hands or touch your face when using it.
- Make sure you open it carefully without squeezing or spilling the gel.
- If you spill some of the gel, clean up the spill immediately.
- In case the gel cannot unclog your garbage disposal, do not turn it on to avoid splashing back of the gel.
- Do not use a plunger or another instrument when you use Drano Max Gel before it is safely rinsed away.
- It should never be used in toilets. For clogged or slow running toilets, use the Drano Max Build-Up remover instead.
- Dispose of the empty container accordingly and don’t reuse it
- Make sure you rinse the empty container and place the cap back on it before disposing of it.
- Read the additional precautions on the label for further information.
Overall, the Drano Max Gel is among the best chemical-based unclogging products on the market. It can be used on all types of pipes and can quickly resolve clogged or slow running problems in your sinks and bathtub or shower.
The product is also an excellent and easy way to keep your drains clean and to prevent clogging due to the buildup of soap scum, grease, hair, and other organic matter.