Fall is a beautiful season, but keeping your garden, lawn, driveway, sidewalk, or other outdoor space free of all the fallen leaves, twigs, and branches can be a backbreaking task.
With a good quality leaf mulcher like the top-rated WORX WG430, this task can become much easier and effortless.
You can quickly reduce the huge piles of leaves into vitamin and nutrient-rich mulch, which you can use to fertilize your garden, as well as to reduce the weeds next season.
Or you can reduce them too much smaller quantities of waste you will need to throw out. This will save you a lot of work and will also help the environment.
We have carefully reviewed a number of leaf mulchers for you and have come up with our top 10 list of leaf mulchers for 2021.
With any one of these tools, you will be looking forward to the autumn cleaning up rather than dreading it.
Read on to find out more about these top-quality leaf mulchers.
This top-quality leaf mulcher has an 11:1 mulching ratio and helps significantly reduce huge piles of leaves and debris into more manageable bunches, which you can easily dispose of or use as compost for your garden.
The tool uses a Flex-A-line bladeless mulching system and thus is safer to use and safer to store. Plus, it is very easy to assemble and disassemble, so you can set it up and then put it away in a matter of minutes without any instruments required.
It has a cutting speed of 8500 per minute.
The foldable mulcher takes up little storage space, and it weighs a mere 20 Lbs. so you won’t have trouble storing or transporting it. In fact, when it is folded up, you can easily store it on a shelf in your garage or shed.
The dimensions of the high-quality leaf mulcher when unfolded are 22.6 x 22.6 x 13.2 inches. It is set on a stand for ease of reach and for more ergonomic work.
The WORX WG430 has a line diameter of 0.09 inches and a cutting diameter of 13 inches. It has 24 cutting lines, and when they run out, you can use standard lines to mulch the garden debris.
The opening for placing the leaves is wide, so you won’t be spilling the debris all around the tool, and it will be easier to fill for faster and more efficient processing of those piles of leaves.
Thanks to its clean air motor cooling system, you can use the mulcher continuously for longer than many of the other products on the market. This cooling system also reduces the amount of dust released during the mulching process.
It is easy to use and features an oversized on and off power button. The tool is electrically powered.
The processed leaves fall conveniently in a bag that is attached to the bag support ring for even easier and mess-free handling. You can use either plastic or paper bags, in accordance with your preferences. It will reduce the time and effort you normally use for stuffing those bags with mulch, as it will do it automatically for you.
The WORX WG430 works well and will rarely get blocked, but even if it does, it is easy and safe to detach it and clean it.
With this reasonably priced leaf mulcher, you will be able to easily, quickly, and safely deal with those tons of leaves you pile up every fall.
Plus, you will be helping the environment by transforming those huge quantities of leaves that usually end up in the landfills into vitamin and nutrient-free mulch, which can use for feeding your garden and protecting it from weeds.
The WORX WG430 is sold with a 3-year warranty by the manufacturer.
The BV6000 is powered by a 12 amp motor and can grind 16 bags of mulch to a single one.
This is a pretty good mulching ration and will save you space and effort and will allow you to clean up large piles of leaves and debris easily and efficiently.
The Black+Decker all-in-one leaf and garden debris cleaning system is easy to use. You can use the 250 mph leaf blower and the leaf vacuum to pile up and collect those fallen leaves and branches quickly. You get to choose from the two-speed selections and can collect the leaves in disposable leaf bags.
After you are done cleaning up your lawn, driveway, deck, sidewalk, or garden, you can use the 12 amp mulcher to process them into useful compost or into more manageable garden waste, which you can easily dispose of.
The switching between the blower and vacuum function is simple, and you can do it as you go about cleaning your outdoor space.
The 3-in-1 garden tool from Black+Decker weighs only 8.1 lbs. and comes with a blow tube, a vacuum tube, a concentrator, and a very sturdy EZ Empty reusable bag for collecting the debris. It also comes with 2 disposable bags and a bag diffuser.
You can also attach the included shoulder strap so you can move around your outdoor space faster and hassle-free and without straining your back during the process.
The airspeed of this inexpensive garden cleaning tool is 180/250 mph, and it works at a very tolerable noise level of just 68 dB, so you won’t be annoying your neighbors when you decide to use it. In fact, it is about 50% quieter than other similar tools offered by Black+Decker and the competition.
The dimensions of the tool are 15.6 x 20.8 x 9.9 inches, and it weighs 8.1 lbs. with the added shoulder strap, it is even easier to carry this portable and lightweight tool, plus it is easy to store, as it takes up very little storage space.
The BV6000 is strongly built and will withstand years of use. So you can expect to be using it season after season without a problem.
With this machine, your usual lawn and leaf bags will decrease by about 50%, and you will have nice and vitamin-filled compost to promote the growth of your plants next season.
It is a multi-functional garden tool, which you can use for all stages of the garden and leaf cleaning process from start to end.
Best budget-friendly option
The inexpensive leaf mulcher has a large and strong metal impeller, which helps improve the mulching and will quickly shred those leaves into compost or into easy-to-store and dispose of small packages.
The tool has 250 mph of vacuuming and blowing power. With this useful tool, you can reduce your garden waste to less than half of its original size. Think about the number of bags and the space you will be saving, as well as how much easier it will be to store your compost or dispose of it when it is reduced in volume by half.
The tool comes with a vacuum tube, a concentrator nozzle, a zip bag, a cord storage hook, and a power insert.
The reusable and sturdy disposal bag has a zipper on the bottom for easy disposal without removing it or turning it around. You can also use this rugged bag to store away all of the parts of the leaf mulcher easily when it is not in use.
Of course, if you prefer, you can attach your own leaf collection bags, so you can store the mulch away even faster.
It also provides variable speed control for both the leaf blowing and leaf vacuuming modes.
This electric-powered leaf mulcher has 350 CFM in blow mode and 410 CFM in vacuum mode. It can handle leaves, acorns, and twigs thanks to the metal impeller.
The size of this reasonably priced garden cleaning tool is 9 x 41 x 14 inches, and it weighs 8.5 lbs.
The Toro 51619 is a budget-friendly mulcher that is sold with a 2-year full warranty by the manufacturer.
Related article – Metal Blades Leaf Mulcher
The rest of the best
If you want a powerful leaf mulcher that can safely and efficiently shred 21 bags of large and hard garden debris like branches, acorns, twigs, and others into a single bag of mulch, then you may want to check out the Sun Joe CJ603E shredder and chipper.
- It is powered by a powerful 15 amp motor
- You can reduce the garden waste significantly using this shredder and chipper to process leaves, branches, twigs, brush, and other garden debris into useful and compact mulch.
- The robust tool is capable of chipping and shredding branches that have a diameter of up to 1.73 inches.
- The tool has a debris reduction ratio of 21:1 – which means turning 21 standard bags of garden debris into 1 single bag.
- It has a forward and reverses switch to prevent blockage
- The device is very easy to use and has an instant start option as well as a safety switch
- There are useful collection bag hooks to attach the mulch bags easily
- It is electrical-powered and thus emits no harmful emissions and fumes
- It does not spray dust around, so using it is mess-free
- There is a safety hopper that prevents the motor from powering on when the toll is opened
- The machine is set on large 7-inch wheels for easy portability
- It has a Slimline design, which allows for storing it easily in a garage or shed
- Its dimensions are 8 x 15 x 31 inches, and it weighs 38.6 lbs.
- It requires minimal cleaning and no maintenance
- It is sold with a 2-year warranty
The Sun Joe CJ602E 15 amp shredder and chipper is another excellent leaf mulcher that can handle twigs and branches and turn them into minimal quantities of garden waste or nutrient-rich mulch for the garden.
- It has a powerful 15 amp motor
- The shredder will handle branches with a thickness of up to 1.57 inches easily and without blocking.
- It has a 16:1 mulching capacity ratio.
- The garden tool has a compact and slim design for easy storage
- It is electrically powered and easy to move around on its 6-inch wheels
- It features a stable stand to keep it standing safely even when processing large piles of thick twigs and branches
- The tool has a maximum no-load speed of 4100 rpm for a fast and efficient reduction of your garden waste
- There is a handy and comfortable paddle on top of the device
- It has a safety hopper to prevent accidents when it is opened
- The instant start button under the hopper makes it easy to operate
- The tool is completely maintenance-free, so you can use it, wipe it up, and put it back in the shed for next time
- ETL safety approved
- No smoke, fumes, or other harmful emissions are releases when it is in use
- Sold in grey, green and red color options
- The dimensions of the unit are 19.7 x 17.3 x 37.8 inches, and it weighs 26.2 lbs.
Related article: Cordless Leaf Blowers Reviewed
If you prefer a cordless leaf mulcher and vacuum, so you don’t have to deal with cords while cleaning your outdoor space, then the Ryobi 40-volt VacAttack Leaf Vacuum Mulcher is one of the best battery powered options on the market for 2021.
- Completely wireless, it lets you move around freely anywhere outdoors to clean the leaves.
- The 2-in-1 tool is a top-quality vacuum and mulcher for garden debris, designed to pick up and mulch dry leaves.
- It comes with an included 4Ah 40V Ryobi battery which is compatible with all other Ryobi battery powered garden tools.
- It also comes with a 40V battery charger and a vacuum tube and bagger
- You can mulch up to 8 30-gallon bags of leaves and debris per charge
- It has adjustable wheels for easy maneuverability and ergonomics
- It has a 16:1 mulching ratio thanks to its sturdy metal impellers
- You can choose among variable speed options, so you have complete control over its power
- The device is sold with a heavy-duty, reusable bag with a zipper
- The weight of the unit is 12.7 lbs.
- It is sold with a 5-year limited warranty.
This hand-held leaf blower and mulcher is easy to move around and use, thanks to its heavy-duty garden rolling wheels and its ergonomic design. It will help you clean up your garden or lawn from leaves and debris in a flash.
- A multifunctional tool which is a leaf blower and a leaf vacuum sweeper at the same time
- It is electrically powered for continuous and eco-friendly power
- The tool comes with a 10-foot power cord
- The motor is 13.5 Amps
- The leaf blower has an airspeed of 130 mph, 15000 rpm
- The vacuum’s air volume is 20 CBM/min and 530 CFM
- The opening size of the vacuum is 19 inches was faster and easier lawn cleaning
- Rugged rolling wheels can move freely and easily through all kinds of rough terrains and provide easy mobility and pivoting of the machine
- Made of rugged ABS housing for added durability
- An integrated 8-gallon reusable bag to collect the mulch
- It has an ergonomic and comfortable handle grip which is height and angle adjustable for your comfort
- The tool weighs 8 lbs. and is easy to store away and carry around
- Its size is 19.3 x 18.3 x 21.9 inches
- A 12 Amp motor
- A 3-in-1 outdoor tool, this is a leaf blower, a leaf vacuum, and a mulcher
- Sold at a very affordable price
- Airspeed of 240 mph
- The air volume of the vacuum is 380 CFM
- Comes with a reusable bag with a convenient zipper for easy emptying
- Made for 1.2 bushels
- A mulch ratio of 17:1
- The unit corded and electrical powered
- Easy to carry and easy to use by anyone
- Dual speed settings for complete control of the tool
- It has a large nozzle that will allow you to collect more leaves and debris faster
If you are looking to invest in a top-of-the-line, heavy-duty leaf mulcher and wood chipper, then the Western Pacific 15HP Wood Chipper is one of the best options for a premium garden tool on the market for 2021.
- A gas-powered leaf mulcher, and wood chipper and cutter with a 5-inch capacity
- It has an adjustable deflector vane for the discharge chute, so you can collect the mulch into other vehicles or bags in accordance with your needs.
- A top hopper for easy loading
- The powerful 15HP gas-powered motor is 420cc and has a quick pull start and electric start, which is battery powered.
- It has an automatic low oil shut off function
- An advanced centrifugal clutch
- Thanks to the strong hardened steel twin reversible chipping blades, it can easily chip, cut, and mulch branches as thick as 5 inches and chips them into ¼ inch mulch.
- The blade speed is up to 2200 rpm
- Sold with a 1-year part warranty
- The dimensions of the machine are 70.8 x 31.2 x. 45.6 inches, and it weighs 385 lbs.
- It has two heavy-duty 14-inch wheels and a 23-inch wheelbase for easier portability and for slow and light towing.
- It has a trailer 2-inch ball hitch for easy mobility
- Its fuel consumption is 450 ml/h
- The overall chipping and mulching capacity is a maximum of 3 tons per hour
If you want an eco-friendly, user-friendly, and durable leaf mulcher and leaf chipper in one, which will allow you to quickly resolve the problem with those huge piles of garden waste and leaves, then the Landworks Electric Wood Chipper and Shredder is another superb option offered at a very reasonable price.
- A powerful 15 Amp electric belt-driven motor with a speed of up to 4,100 rpm
- Non-rusting, durable, and sturdy polypropylene housing which will withstand a lot of wear and tear
- A 17:1 mulching and chipping reduction of garden debris – twigs, branches, brush, and leaves
- It can handle branches with a diameter of up to 1.57 inches
- Eco-friendly, no harmful emissions and fumes
- Reversible, durable dual-edge blades for chipping and mulching
- Instant start option for easy operation
- Overload protection shut down switch
- 7-inch power cable with a coupling guard
- Two 6 inch wheels for easy portability and mobility
- A sturdy and comfortable push paddle to place branches and leaves inside the hopper safely and easily
- Safety and quality certified by the US and international ISO standards
- 1,800 watts
- Simple assembly with no tools required
- A size of 20 x 15.70 x 38 inches and a weight of 25.30 lbs.
Why do you need a leaf mulcher?
If you are still not sure that you really need a leaf mulcher, here are some of the advantages of owning and using such a machine, which may help you make up your mind:
More efficient garden waste disposal
Cleaning up and raking the lawn garden or other outdoor space from fallen leaves and twigs is just the first part of the job. After you have piled up those leaves and garden debris in piles or stacked them in bags, there still remains the question of disposing of them quickly, easily, and efficiently.
With a leaf shredder, those several piles or bags of waste can be reduced to just a few bags of mulch. Needless to say, this makes handling, transporting, and throwing away the garden waste a much easier task.
You will reduce the waste in the landfills
By reducing your garden debris to smaller quantities, you will reduce the amount of waste you through away. This will benefit nature. You can be even more eco-friendly if you use a mulcher that comes with a reusable bag, or if you use paper bags instead of nylon ones.
You will end up with free, organic, top quality mulch and compost
Most people use leaf mulchers to make their own compost to enrich the garden beds and to suppress the growth of weeds.
With these great leaf mulchers for 2021, you will be able to reduce your otherwise useless garden waste into porous, vitamin-rich and top quality mulch. You can use the ready mulch in the spring when it is time to revive your lawn or garden.
When you scatter your mulch on your garden beds, it will turn into compost and will help feed your plants, which stopping the growth of weeds among them.
Some of the leaf mulchers are very useful multitools
Many of the leaf mulchers on our list can also be used as leaf blowers or vacuums, and some can chip wood and thicker branches. This means that you will have one tool instead of 3-4 separate ones. Not only will this save you money, but it will also save you space and time too.
Features to look for when buying a leaf mulcher
Since there are so many different types and brands of these leaf shredding instruments on the market, choosing the most suitable one for your needs can be quite a daunting task.
There are heavy-duty mulchers which double as wood chippers, which you can use to handle not only those piles of leaves but also the brush, branches, and twigs from your garden or lawn.
Also, there are smaller tools which are suitable for smaller outdoor spaces, and larger ones which can process much larger amounts of garden waste much faster.
Plus, some of the garden tools are versatile and combine leaf blowers, vacuums and mulchers all in one. These can save you space and money for buying separate tools for each task.
Choosing the perfect leaf mulcher largely depends on your specific needs, and the quantities of leaves and other garden debris you need to tackle every year.
Here are some tips about the features to look for when you are buying a leaf mulcher:
Power of the leaf mulcher motor
The higher the wattage of the leaf mulcher, the higher its horsepower is. While lower wattage leaf shredders are generally less expensive, they can be slower and less efficient than the more powerful models.
The more powerful your mulcher is, the less likely it will get blocked and thus will save you time for opening the tool up and cleaning it out.
If your outdoor space tends to collect large quantities of leaves every fall, it makes sense to invest in a more powerful machine to deal with them faster and easier.
Look at the amperage of the tool, and choose one which has a motor of at least 12 amps. For heavy-duty jobs, it is advisable to opt for a mulcher with amperage of 14 amps or more.
The garden debris reduction ratio
You may have noticed that in the descriptions of each of the mulching tools on our list, there is always a ratio given for the product. This ratio is actually the capacity of the leaf mulcher to convert a specific number of piles or bags of garden waste in one bag or a single pile of mulch.
Look for a tool which can reduce at least 13 piles of leaves into 1 pile of mulch if you want to be making a sound investment. This means that after you are done with the processing of the waste, you will end up with 1/13th of the initial quantity you started with.
The entire point of a mulcher is to easily reduce the garden waste into smaller and easy to manage quantities of waste or to make your own mulch to use for your garden needs.
The larger the reduction ratio of the leaf mulcher, the more efficient the machine is in reducing the overall waste.
The overall capacity of the leaf mulcher
The capacity of the leaf mulcher refers to the amount of leaves it can handle and process in its machine bowl or hopper.
Choose a tool which can handle your specific needs, depending on the leaves and twigs you normally deal with in the fall, as well as on the size of the outdoor space you need to have cleaned.
Obviously, a machine with a larger capacity will allow you to clean up your lawn, garden or driveway much faster than one which has a limited capacity.
Also, if you are planning on using the mulch for compost for your gardening or lawn needs, then choose a tool which can produce the amount of compost you need for your farm or garden.
Speed adjustment options
The power of the leaf mulcher is important, but being able to adjust its speed is another important feature to look for.
In some cases, depending on the dryness and the types of leaves you are shredding, you may need to slow down the process, in order to prevent blockage and to allow for proper shredding.
Thus, choosing a garden tool which provides you with the opportunity to change its speed depending on your needs is a very good idea.
The make and quality of the blade
A leaf mulcher with a stronger, higher quality blade will do the job of shredding and mulching the leaves much faster and much more efficiently, than one with lower quality blades.
High-quality blades reduce the risk of clogging during the shredding process and thus will save you lot of time and hassle.
Some of the garden tools in our list use cutting lines instead of a blade, which is safer. Choose a mulcher which has at least 25 cutting lines if you want to get the best results.
The versatility of the leaf mulcher
Multifunctional tools have their pros and cons. Buying a leaf mulcher which is also a leaf blower and leaf vacuum will save you money for buying three separate instruments. On the other hand, some 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 tools have less powerful mulchers than the standalone units.
You can also pick a machine which can handle not only leaves but larger twigs, branches, pinecones, and acorns. These can be bulkier and more expensive, but they will save you a lot of time and effort for clearing up the garden, lawn or other outdoor space when autumn comes.
Some of these mulchers can handle smaller twigs and branches of up to 1.5 inches, while others have a capacity of chipping and shredding thicker branches of 3 inches and even more.
Given that the majority of these tools have sharp blades, safety is essential for you and for your family.
Check out the specifications and the reviews for the leaf mulcher you have set your eyes on to find out how often it clogs up, and how easy and safe it is to unclog it.
Also, it is advisable to choose a machine which shuts off automatically when there is a blockage, or when the hopper is open or is removed.
This will limit the risk of getting injured while cleaning or handling the tool.
Portability and size
We have chosen tools which are of all possible sizes. Some are handheld and weigh less than 10 lbs. while others are much heavier, but have wheels and handles to move them around.
How big and heavy the leaf mulcher you choose depends on whether you need to carry it around, and transport it.
If you choose a mulcher which is also a leaf blower and vacuum, it makes sense to opt for a lighter and more portable one.
For large quantities of leaves and debris, you probably should invest in a larger and heavier duty machine which can handle more serious mulching tasks.
Our list of leaf mulchers for 2021 contains electrical powered corded tools, battery-powered cordless tools, as well as a gasoline-powered option.
Each of the different types has its pros and cons. Electrical and battery-powered tools are more eco-friendly and do not emit harmful fumes, and they are quieter. But gasoline-powered machines are generally more powerful but can be noisy, and will emit harmful gases.
Also, gasoline-powered leaf mulchers require more maintenance than the other types.
Corded electrical leaf mulchers offer continuous power, but you are restricted by the power cord. Battery-powered ones are more portable, but they have limited capacity, and you will need to recharge them or buy an extra battery if you don’t want to interrupt your workflow.
The electric and battery-powered tools are more environmentally friendly than those that work on gasoline.
Plus, you can choose a leaf mulcher which comes with a reusable bag so that you can further contribute to saving the environment, or you can use paper bags to reduce the plastic waste.
Given that you will most likely be using the leaf shredder only during one or two seasons of the year, it is essential to think about where you will store it during the rest of the year.
While some leaf mulchers are pretty hefty and large, others are foldable, light and compact.
So, consider the space you have available for more tools in your garage, shed or other before purchasing a leaf mulcher or any other garden tool.
Overall, if you have a backyard, a lawn, a garden or another outdoor area which you need to clean up from leaves and garden waste especially in the fall, you will truly appreciate a convenient tool like a leaf mulcher.
It will help you decrease the volumes of your waste drastically, making it easier and more environmentally friendly to dispose of.
Plus, you will be able to make your own high-quality mulch instead of buying it, and use it in the spring to feed those plants and to protect them from weeds.
Some of the models we have picked for you are versatile tools which can help you with the entire leaf cleaning, collecting, shredding and packing process too. And there are some which can chip wood and larger branches too.
So, as you can see, a leaf mulcher is a pretty convenient garden tool to have. It will save you tons of effort, time and energy for cleaning up your outdoor space.
Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy your nifty new leaf mulcher!